Lights on... Cultural heritage and museums!
Ophthalmic instruments in a museum of science
Marisa Monteiro, M. João Carvalhal
AbstractMedical studies in Porto began with the creation of the Medical-Surgical School, in 1836; the attendance of a preparatory course taught at the Polytechnic Academy (1837-1911) was required beforehand. On February 1911, it was elevated to a Faculty of Medicine. The creation decree listed subjects such as Physics and Chemistry for Biology, with a one semester duration, which were taught in the Physics and Chemistry Laboratories of the Polytechnic Academy [which, in March, would become the Faculty of Science (FS) of the University of Porto]. These subjects would be replaced on July 1914 by the “FQN” course (from Physics, Chemistry, and Natural Sciences), preparatory to the study of Medicine, also to be taught at the FS, and contemplating an annual chair of Physics. When the FS was established, syllabuses were changed, foreseeing the attendance of free magisterial and demonstration lessons and mandatory practical lessons. Though there were, in the building of the Polytechnic Academy, several rooms assigned to the Cabinet – later Laboratory – of Physics, these were devoid of resources for experimental work, which imposed the purchase of instruments for demonstration and practice. In September 1912, the FS acquired, from the Maison Charrière Collin, a set of instruments for Medical Physics. Among others, a Landolt perimeter (for graphical description of the visual field), a Landolt ophthalmoscope (for fundus observation), a Perrin artificial eye (for practice with the ophthalmoscope) and a set of ophthalmologic lenses, all of them now in the Museum of Science of the University of Porto. We will present some of these instruments, as an initial approach to the study of the physics of vision, and understanding of eye defects and diseases.
Data da última atualização: 2017-03-22
DestaForma, Design e Multimédia
Biblioteca Central © 2006 - Todos os direitos reservados - FLUP